The Athens International Children’s Film Festival is a leading organisation for children’s and young audiences’ audiovisual content in Greece, bringing the highest quality films the world has to offer to the Greek capital and beyond in an annual celebration of children’s cinema, held in Autumn.
With the aim to introduce, support and promote intelligent filmmaking for children and teenagers, ATHICFF takes place over 10 days in landmark venues and cinemas in Athens, during which families and youth discover the world through more than 100 short and feature films, from more than 30 countries and languages.
Through our year-round educational initiatives we promote film and media literacy, making films accessible in the classroom so that young people become equipped to analyse and critically engage with the media. We also support and encourage teachers to strengthen the use of film in interdisciplinary classroom learning by continuing educational activities including a yearly curated thought-provoking programme of screenings for schools accompanied by open discussions with guests, students and our partner educators.
In the spirit of inclusivity and cultural democracy, ATHICFF brings content to disadvantaged groups and communities of all kinds, including outreach programmes for remote areas of Greece, free screenings at refugee homes and homes for vulnerable children, and accessibility tools for people with physical and developmental disabilities.
- The 1st AΤΗICFF was held in December of 2018 (7-9.12.2018)at the Megaron Athens Concert Hall.
- The 2nd ATHICFF was held on 23 & 24.11.2019 at the Megaron Athens Concert Hall and Danaos Cinema.
- Due to the conditions imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic, the 3rd ATHICFF was held fully online 14-22.11.2020.
- The 4th ATHICFF returned to physical screenings with a rich and expanded film programme, hosted at Megaron Athens Concert Hall, the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus, Danaos Cinema and Cinemax 1&2 in Kifisia, from the 13th to the 21st of November 2021.
- The 5th ATHICFF, #AsItWas but not the same, was held from the 14th to the 20th of November 2022, hosted at the Megaron Athens Concert Hall, the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus, Cinemax 1&2 in Kifisia and Danaos Cinema.